Deborah Lynne Wiley
Over 30 years experience in the information industry, including international marketing and sales, product development, online searching and training, customer support, and project management. Have created dozens of electronic publications and given over 300 training courses and seminars.
1994- President, Next Wave Consulting, Pensacola, FL
Founder and owner of a consulting business to help publishers create and market electronic publications and databases. Projects have included writing an Internet textbook, creating a commercial Internet-based environmental information service, helping create a multi-media CD-ROM textbook, market research for a housing information service, and designing and presenting a variety of technology oriented training courses.
1993-1994 New Product Development Manager, Institute for Scientific Information, Philadelphia, PA
Responsible for developing new products in the environmental science, technology, and engineering areas, and for upgrading content in these areas in Current Contents and the Science Citation Index.
1990-1993 Marketing Manager, Electronic Publications, CAB International,
Responsible for initiating the electronic publishing program, and then for worldwide marketing, sales and product development for all electronic publications, including the CAB ABSTRACTS database, the CABCD and related CD-ROM products, and a variety of SDI services.
1989-1990 Product Manager, Cambridge Scientific Abstracts, Bethesda, MD
Responsible for sales, marketing and training for all 7 online databases, as well as product development and licensing for the Compact Cambridge CD-ROMs.
1985-1989 Online Training Administrator, Institution of Electrical Engineers
(IEE), Piscataway, NJ
Responsible for developing training materials and giving training courses for the INSPEC database. Also provided customer support and exhibited at trade shows and conferences.
1984-1985 Abstractor and Indexer, Celanese Chemical Company, Summit, NJ
Helped to design an in-house database of internal research reports and then abstract and index the reports for the database. Also assisted the reference librarian in searching scientific, technical, and patent databases.
1978 Lebanon Valley College, Annville, PA, B.S. Biology, minor in Chemistry
1985 Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ, M.L.S. Library & Information Science
Special Libraries Association (SLA)
Association of Information and Dissemination Centers (ASIDIC)
Society for Scholarly Publishing (SSP)
- Wiley, Deborah Lynne “Oh what a tangled web we weave . . ” NFAIS Newsletter 40, No. 10 (October 1998) pp. 157-158.
- Wiley, Deborah Lynne Beyond Information Retrieval: ways to provide content in context” DATABASE 21, No. 4 (August/September 1998): pp.18-22.
- Wiley, Deborah Lynne “Will the Internet turn Database Producers into Information Providers?” BUSINESS INFORMATION ALERT: SOURCES, STRATEGIES AND SIGNPOSTS FOR INFORMATION PROFESSIONALS, Vol.8 No. 9,October 1996.
- Wiley, Deborah Lynne “Subject Guides to the Internet - where will they end?” NFAIS Newsletter 38, No. 7 (July 1996) pp. 97-99.
- Wiley, Deborah Lynne “What a Search Engine Can Do For You!” NFAIS Newsletter 38, No. 6 (June 1996) pp. 84-86.
- Wiley, Deborah Lynne “From Print to Internet...Can the Traditional Abstracting and Indexing Services Survive?” DATABASE 17, No. 6 (December 1994): pp.18-24.
- Wiley, Deborah Lynne “Organizational Politics versus the World Wide Web” Internet Reference Services Quarterly 2, No.1/2, 1998.
Experienced in electronic journal publishing and conversion - have managed several journal format conversions and database designs.
Very Internet literate - have created and maintained web sites, taught courses and written documentation for Internet software.
Familiar with OPACs and library automation systems - have negotiated licensing agreements for electronic information stored on library networks.